Garage doors – All you need to know
Few people realize what drastic change can garage doors make on the look of their homes until they choose one or decide to renovate that changes the aesthetic of their entire home.
As the name itself suggests, a garage door is basically a ginormous door that is operated either manually or automatically. It is used to keep automobiles like vehicles safely. Since time immemorial, garage doors are being used to keep the early mode of transportation like chariots safely in the vicinity of one’s home.
In 1921, CG Johnson patented his invention of an overhead garage door, making it easier for vehicles to get into the garage.
Types of garage doors
- Sectional: It opens in sections parallel to the roof, hence the name given. Each panel of the door fits into the track, which rolls along the roofline until operated by springs attached to the cables which operate the door.
- The beauty of this sectional door is that although the frame will be squared off, fitted inside of the building means you can put it with an opening of any shape.
- It is sealed on all four sides, which means that it is truly insulated.
- They are most commonly used in residential areas of Europe and the USA.
- Roll-up: Its mechanism is identical to roll up windows that we see in houses.
- They have much smaller sections, typically individual slats that roll over each other in the form of an overhead tube.
- Roll-up garage doors are mostly used in commercial applications.
- If you’ve got a single door or less ceiling space, then this type of door is useful for you in your home.
- Slide to the side garage doors: They are made of vertical sections. It slides and bends to one side of the door, sitting parallel to the garage door wall.
- The main advantage is that you can either use it a single door or a double door.
- They have wheels fitted on a track place in the lower trolley, which is easier to move if done manually.
- They don’t have strings attached, nor they need any ceiling operator, unlike needed in sectional garage doors.
- Up and over canopy garage doors: Unlike others, they are made up of a single piece.
- The door is attached with springs on the ceiling and opens parallel to the ceiling.
- It also has a retractable version that does not project outwards and can be opened even if it is parked outside close to the garage.
The material used in garage doors
Garage doors are made up of many materials like; steel, wood, wood composite, aluminium and glass mix. Each of the material has certain pros and cons attached to it. Therefore, one must analyze each material’s pros and cons, keeping in mind the type of garage door they want to install to make an informed and prudent choice.
Pros – 1. It will provide durability and resistance against all weather types.
2. Steel also have many customized options suitable for you.
3.They are also affordable and the easiest to maintain.
Cons – 1. The poor insulator has to cover them with insulation.
2. Thin steel doors are more prone to dents, so you have to use thick layers.
Pros – 1. It adds beauty to your house as it comes in indefinite colours.
2.Wood, as we all know, is the most insulated and resistant material
3. Also, it is resistant to cracks and dents
Cons – 1. Wood can catch pests like termites and can destroy your door.
2.Wood is not resistant to moisture, making it vulnerable to rain and humid weather.
3. More expensive than any other material.
4.Need heavy springs for support.
3. Composite wood:
Pros – 1. It is made up of recycled wood and plastic, also known as Faux wood
2. Available at a low price.
3.Lightweight and resistant to moisture or rotting.
Cons – 1. It will not beautify your house as it is not attractive, like wood.
4. Aluminium and glass door:
Pros – 1. It will have windows made up of glass and the rest made of aluminium.
2. Easy to install and is lightweight, does not need heavy garage door springs
3.Both aluminium and glass are effective insulators.
Cons – 1. Less availability of customized options.
2.There is the possibility of glass getting cracked.
Garage doors maintenance tips
- Check time to time: How the door is working- it’s symmetry, balance, all springs, pulleys.
- Inspect weatherstripping: If the rubber is coming out or is disturbed, you should replace it immediately.
- Always oil the moving parts: Lubrication is necessary for the garage door’s smooth functioning, whether automatic or manual.
- Regular check-up of Auto-reverse safety feature: You can do it once a while by placing anything to check the system and prevent any mishappening.
- Cleanliness is the key: Always keep your garage doors clean and groom them periodically.
Garage Trends in today’s time
- Keep it green: Increasing global warming and climate change have made people tilt towards using eco-friendly material, contributing less pollution to the environment.
- Multi-purpose: In today’s time, garage doors are not only used for parking vehicles but are used for various purposes like gyms, offices, etc.
- More material options: Now there are many more materials available in the Market like fibreglass, which is in much demand.
Garage doors now hold an important place in the overall look of the house. People now like to design and customize their garage doors in a way that looks unique. Many companies all over the World are manufacturing world-class garage doors and are exporting them to other countries as well. Garage doors come really handy for people owning several vehicles and can maintain their vehicles’ good safety.